Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 4: Post running from the bull that is on fire and shooting fireworks at you!

The labor day weekend festivities culminated in a festival de la Santa Cruz, the patron saint day of the construction workers! Altars were put in front of houses and stacked with fruits, vegetables, flowers, and weird stuff like toothpaste and toilet paper. When the sun sets, people take whatever they want from the altars, and when everything has been taken from an altar, the owner of the house lights a paper mache bull on fire which sets off all of the 50 or so firecrackers that make up its body. Did I mention that this bull is carried through the street while it's on fire by a very brave man. The children taunt the man who runs after them up and down the street until the firecrackers stop shooting and the fire is out.

After being chased by several bulls, I kicked it on the side of the road with an old woman who I bought a six pack of modelo for. Her family invited me and my friend over for a chat. I showed them the videos and photos I took. Best day so far!






No comments:

Post a Comment